söndag 9 november 2008

Heart vs. Head

So often, when we come to a fork in the road, our hearts want to take us in one direction, and our heads want to take us in another. I don't know when I last allowed my head to rule my heart. When I did–that lesson was so profoundly expensive, that I’ve followed my heart pretty faithfully ever since.
Now that I’ve gotten to that place–which feels incredibly right to me–it makes me sad to witness heart vs. head battles in which someone’s head wins. Our heart’s desire is simple: all it wants is happiness. To see someone reason him- or herself out of happiness seems utterly contradictory to me.
"I love you. I respect and admire you. You bring out the best in me, and I like who I am when we’re together."

My heart vs. mind battles were epic, and all I could do was hope that I would ultimately choose the road that led to him. But in the end, I didn't know what was right or wrong.

Does following my heart mean that my head isn’t involved in my life’s journey? No, not at all. Following my heart simply means that I trust it to point me in the direction of happiness. Then my head figures out how to get from here to there.
If I put both my heart and mind into something, does it guarantee success? No. But I don’t ask as many “What if . . .?” questions, or struggle with as many “If only . . .” regrets.

But what if head and heart doesn't co-operate? Iv'e got to put both heart and mind into it. And if an endeavor fails, then at least I know I've given it my all.

Inga kommentarer: